This is my official journey into photography.
Here’s a my progress in bullets so far:
- Wifey asking me to take pictures of her for her Instagram.
- Becoming a bit more comfortable with taking pictures in public.
- Taking iPhone pictures thinking I’m Picasso of digital photography.
- Starting to follow real photographers on Instagram.
- Realising that I’m a crap photographer.
- Asking my wife to teach me how to take better photos, but she’s a natural and she can’t even begin to explain how she does it.
- Borrowing my wife’s Canon 70D to teach myself.
- Becoming frustrated with not understanding “Manual Mode”.
- Watching YouTube tutorials on shutter speed and aperture only to become more confused.
- Going back to iPhone photography by getting a newer model with “a really good camera”.
- The iPhone camera does strange things and I realise that I’m basically destroying my pictures when I’m editing them.
- Realising that I’m crap at editing, too.
- Trying lots of apps only to realise that most of them are only marginally better than Instagram’s native tools.
- Becoming utterly frustrated and angry.
- Deciding to become a good photographer — whatever it takes.
- I try Adobe Lightroom CC and my mind is blown.
- Spending 100+ hours of watching Lightroom tutorials on YouTube.
- Realising that I need to be taking high-quality RAW photos. Going back to my wife’s Canon 70D.
- Remembering that I’m crap at taking photos.
- I still can’t figure out “Manual Mode”, but this time I’m putting in 250+ hours in the field and on YouTube.
- After 4,000+ pictures, I start getting the hang of “Manual Mode”.
- And look at me dodging and burning in Photoshop!
- Getting more likes on Instagram which leads me to believe that I’m Michelangelo reborn. At least for almost a full day.
- Experimenting with composition.
- Realising I know jack shit about subjects, leading lines, balance, rule of thirds, negative space, separation and so on.
- Finding even better photographers on Instagram. Thinking of giving up.
- Taking a good picture by chance. More YouTube tutorials, more practice.
- Getting my own DSLR (Canon 5D MKII) and taking an interest in light.
- Feeling a mad passion slowly taking over my life.
And here we are. Work in progress, mind you.
If you want to see me go insane in real-time, follow @jerrysilfwer on Instagram.